Saturday, February 19, 2011

Week 19 Update

Weeks 17, 18, and 19 have been fairly uneventful. Lots of working, resting, eating, and growing. I have had a new pregnancy symptom creep up on me, though.... Heartburn. Yuck! I really sympathize with any of you who have acid reflux or indigestion symptoms on a regular basis. I first started noticing it around the beginning of week 17 just at night when I was laying down to go to sleep. It gradually got more and more noticeable as the nights went on, until I wasn't able to ignore it anymore, and had to prop myself up to sleep. Then, after a few nights of minimal discomfort, I started feeling the heartburn symptoms earlier and earlier in the evenings, then in the afternoon. For the last few days, I've been dealing with this from about lunchtime on. I have bought some Tums and take a few of those occasionally throughout the day and drink lots of ice water, which makes me feel a little better. I'm still hoping not to have to take any sort of medicine regularly during my pregnancy, but if it continues to get worse, I may have to start taking some Zantac... which my doctor assured me is perfectly safe. Boo! My in-laws suggested drinking a little bit of milk at night to coat my esophagus. Any other natural suggestions from experienced heartburn sufferers?

We had our 3rd OB appt between week 17 and 18 (Feb. 16). Initially, Brian wasn't going to be able to go because he had a meeting scheduled, but it was moved and he decided to tag along again. I think he feels a little self-conscious going with me to the appointments, but he likes to hear the heartbeat and be assured everything is progressing smoothly, just like I do. This time, we even saw another guy there with his wife! You're not the only one, babe :) The appointment went well. The doctor said everything looked and sounded normal, and my weight is up 5 lbs overall.

We're scheduled for our 2nd sonogram appointment on Tuesday, and I could not be more excited to see Baby B again, make sure everything is still progressing smoothly, and find out PINK or BLUE! Can't believe we're already to the mid-point in the pregnancy. We're announcing the results to our family and close friends that night at a Gender Reveal Party, and then we'll share with everyone else on Wednesday! We'll be sure to take lots of pictures and post some soon after!

Here's a picture from week 19... I took this one myself in the mirror, but I'll try to remember to have Brian take a real one tonight.

4 comments:

The Broaddus Family said...

You look so cute! For heartburn- I drank a small glass of milk before bed. It helped tremendously! :)Can't wait to find out the gender- and see you at TSHA!

Unknown said...

Hey Rachel!

So excited for you and Brian...so I wanted to give you my natural relief for heartburn...which I hardly ever have because I take pro-biotics. Not sure if you do but we all need them on a daily basis...the friendly bacteria that coats your stomach and digestive track. I take 60 billion capsules, but you can get them starting at 10 - 15 billion. The other thing is drinking Organic Apple Cider Vinegar...about 1 t. to 8 oz. water with a little honey or stevia.

It will be fun watching your progress. Doesn't look like we'll have grand babies for a while since Brandon started law school this year. Love ya!

The Kriegels said...

Kyle comes to all of mine!

Lynn B said...

I had stopped looking at this blog a while back... glad I checked in. We are all very excited about the family addition and love hearing about your/Brian's/Baby B's progress.

Love you guys,
Lynn (PaPa)